Wednesday, August 13, 2014

No Excuses & Eating Fresh



I love vegetable gardens. I really do. And I know that gardening is a joy and one that comes easy to many.
It’s also a skill that can be learned and something all of us should be making an effort to do.
The truth is that however, life gets in the way and I end up buying my produce from regular grocery stores. Once in a while, I will have an odd free Saturday when I’m not transporting my kiddos to their games and end up at the local farmer’s market. The fresh produce and colors there are a feast for the senses and I hope that by shopping there, I support the local farmers and that it makes a difference.
But more often than not, our fruits and veggies come from the likes of Costco and Kroger. This is where I do my best to balance the organic versus conventional produce keeping in mind the cost as well as all the information (the dirty dozen, organic versus conventional debates etc.) that I am exposed to because I live in this world. And truthfully, also because as a health nut I’m looking for this information.
Knowledge is power but sometimes too much analysis can paralyze you.
I’ve come down to this. Eating fresh fruits and veggies is important for my family so I buy making the best choices where ever I am at that given moment. 
So whether I am at a farm, a market and or the supermarket down the street, I get the most produce I can and I leave it at that.
By all means, it's great to grow a garden or go to the farmer’s market.
But if you can’t today, that’s alright too. Just go to your local supermarket and get those apples, spinach and carrots. It may sound crazy but just FILL that cart with the colors of the rainbow.
It may not be picked from the field on that day but you're still miles ahead by making those colorful choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment